Real Estate Development: Need, Goals, Value and Importance
Real estate development always starts from the needs of the property, the customer and the end user. We help our clients identify and find the potential of real estate and the right strategy for implementing a real estate development project to improve the functionality, value or yield of the property.
In addition to financial returns, Sweco’s property development services aim to have a positive impact on society or the environment. Thanks to our wide-ranging expertise, we ensure the sustainability, economy and technical aspects of the entire project.
During the project, we will ensure interaction between stakeholders through extensive market dialogue and by bringing together the right networks.
We bring all project parties together to solve and ensure a successful and appropriate outcome. We take responsibility for comprehensive, user-oriented and cost-conscious project management and ensure that the project is guided by lifecycle thinking instead of partial optimisation.
Operating environment of real estate development
Sweco’s property development services bring together three areas of expertise – technical, financial and sustainable.
Combining expertise in different areas of expertise and sustainability goals right from the start of the project creates added value for the project, users and investors and ensures that the customer succeeds in their own business.
Project management acts as the “glue and oil” of projects, bringing people, goals and strategies together, preventing silos, and ensuring the smooth progress of the project.
Real estate development services are a solution for all stages of the real estate investment life cycle
- Plot development reviews
- Establishment of reference plans
- Carbon footprint calculations and regional energy solutions
- Climate change impact assessment
- Chief, architect and special design and project management after the zoning change
- Mapping and tendering partners for zoning
- Consulting on the sale of building rights
- Plot, business premises or investment site search, comparisons and plot use studies
- Needs and project studies and assessment of alternative solutions
- Brainstorming the purpose of use of a plot or property
- Concept design and conceptualization
- Planning and land use consulting and steering of permit processes
- Cost estimates, investment and profitability calculations, feasibility studies
- Implementation of tendering processes
- User, implementer and investor surveys
Real estate transactions
- Technical due diligence (TDD) and other DD services (financial, commercial, legal, environmental)
- Risk analyses
- Energy efficiency calculations
- Implementation model studies
- Leases and consideration calculations
- Planning the development of real estate or real estate portfolio
- Mapping purchase targets
Ratapihankatu in Tampere- Sustainable Investment Premises Block
Ratapihankatu real estate project significantly complements Tampere’s cityscape. Sweco has been in the project development phase to ensure that the contractual, qualitative and environmental aspects of the project serve the goals of the real estate investor and users.
Aurum brings the universities of Turku under the same roof and provides a framework for innovations that solve climate change
The Aurum project has guided the sustainable development goals from the very beginning, thanks to which the design has already been awarded the BREEAM environmental certificate. Strategic partnership and cooperation have been the keys to success.
Saraco, which joined Sweco in October 2020, has been responsible for the project management, construction and supervision of the Aurum project from the outset. Suomen Yliopistokiinteistöt (SYK) wanted a partner for the project who, in addition to technical expertise, offers a strong strategic vision.
Culturally and historically valuable
The former state agency will be renovated into office space and restaurants. The experience of challenging projects was especially important in the project partner selection. Separator 2 is one of the most spectacular addresses in the heart of Helsinki. The Neo-Renaissance palace, completed in 1891, its adjoining Art Nouveau house and the courtyard wing connecting the buildings at the corner of Erottaja and Uudenmaankatu were empty for years until they were bought by the American investment company Blackrock in autumn 2018. Now Erottaja 2 is undergoing a change of use and complete renovation. The office will be completed with modern office and restaurant space.